Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hadiah Kewartawanan Malaysia MPI-Petronas 2013

Alhamdulillah!

My documentary titled 'Penyelamat Khazanah Sabah' aired on Majalah 3 last July won Hadiah Kewartawanan Malaysia MPI-Petronas for best documentary :)


Winners get RM15,000 and in this case it was split into two with my cameraman, Jebat.


The event was held last Friday at One World Hotel (good thing it is just a stone's throw away from my office) and was graced by the Deputy Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

In 'Penyelamat Khazanah Sabah' the crew and I spent 5 days with Sabah's Wildlife Rescue Unit (WRU) to experience the challenges they face in their line of duty. We spent a few nights on their boat, Putera Segama, which was a challenge by itself! Being the only female on board, I got the cabin with a bunk bed. The water supply was pumped from the river so I depended on mineral water to brush my teeth and wash my face.


The hero in my story is Dr. Sen Nathan, the head of the WRU. He and his team were very cooperative throughout the shoot, which we are so grateful for. We cruised through the Kinabatangan River and stopped at several locations whenever duty called. 


One of the highlights of the story was when we tracked down wild borneo elephants in the forest. There was a group of elephants in the area and they managed to dart one of it. While the team were fixing a satellite collar on the elephant, we could hear the other elephants somewhere around us...probably searching for the missing family member that we were working on. I was told that we were probably surrounded by 15-20 elephants!

The crew and I were reminded on the emergency procedure. If you see an elephant coming towards you, run to the boat and don't panic. 


We faced challenges with the mud too. On the night when we were searching for Proboscis monkeys, it rained heavily. So the ground was soft. It was so soft that the mud reached up to the knee. It was especially challenging for those that are on the heavier side. They struggled at each step.

And little did we know, we experienced the same thing at day time.



Someone even tumbled down this slop. No one was hurt, but we had a good laugh :)

So you see, it isn't all glitz and glam working with TV. As girly as I may seem, it's good to rough it out once in a while. Whatever makes a good story...


I've always loved doing wildlife reports and this win is definitely one of the highlights in my 10-year career. Syukur...rezeki baby :)

1 comment:

Muhammad Taufiq said...

Hi salam perkenalan :) U have a great and nice blog. Do u mind to visit and follow my blog ? awksweetgitu.blogspot.com =) It always open for everybody. :D