Monday, June 21, 2010

You Think You're That Young?

Ouch! That's not a very nice thing to hear, is it? But that was what my loving, most understanding husband, Mer, asked me the other day. Here's what happened...

I was buying waffles and the person behind the counter asked for my order...

Me: saya nak waffle dua.
Girl: tu saja, kak?
Me: ya. Berapa, kak?
Girl: RM 6...terima kasih, kak.
Me: kak, berapa lama siap?
Girl: 5 minit, kak.

Do you notice anything wrong? I honestly didn't, at first. Then Mer popped the question...

Mer: you think you're that young?
Me: huh? What do you mean? (surprised that my man would ask such question out of the blue)
Mer: she's clearly younger than you and you're calling her 'kak'.
(I took a second look at the girl behind the counter and analyzed her this time.)
Me: oh yeah... (now that I look at her, she's probably around 20 years old)

The thing about me is, I automatically address anyone as 'kakak' or 'abang', regardless of how old they are (unless that person is clearly a kid).

Mer said I should accept the fact that I'm not as young and should learn to call people like them 'dik'.

*sigh* Yes dear...

10 comments:

Suzie said...

i pulak terbalik...selalu address someone dgn 'adik' even she's older than me..hehe..

Thara said...

me toooooo! i dunno why, tapi i rasa pelik, like, kurang respect, kalau i panggil orang "adik" -- eventho she looks younger than me! i hope they dont take it the bad way though, im just trying to be nice! :P

Nurul Aima Hj Kaim said...

saya pun dah terkena but im the one yg d gelar 'KAKAK'..T__T

faizah sukeri said...

hehe..sabar jela k.irin..
da trbiasa kan...:)

umi ameer said...

i guess it's safer to address others as adik kot.. hehhehe...
maybe dah terbiasa, kan?

rara said...

hehehe kelakar.. mesti budak tu taktau nak panggil u apa bila u kept on calling her 'kak'. mesti dalam hati 'nak panggil adik, aku lagi muda kot'. hehehe.. tapi takpe.. u look young la irin. esp gambar dalam your previous entry yang raees said u look like a small girl tu.

Syaz said...

ok lah tu, jgn panggil hoi sudah...

lily lotus said...

tak kisah kalau dah tak berapa nak muda..yg penting hati tetap muda :)

mamamarissa said...

hehehe...cute la your husband nie :)

cik puan akish said...

ahahah..me too....:)x kesah la umor tua..tp kite ttp nmpat mude,....:)