Monday, April 19, 2010

I *Wrote* To The PM

I still remember how difficult it was to return to work after my 60-day maternity leave. Non-mothers may think it's more than enough but as a new mom with a newborn baby, it definitely wasn't!

I googled 'maternity leave' just to see how our country's 60-day/8-week maternity leave compares to other country.

Did you know that more than 100 countries give 10-20 weeks of paid maternity leave?!

But what surprised me the most was the fact that USA gives 0 paid maternity leave. Zero, ziltch, telur ayam. They give 12 weeks UNPAID leave instead. Kesian...

So we're not so bad, I guess. But why compare to (one of the) worse cases when there are many more countries giving better benefits to new moms, right? That's why I wrote to our Prime Minister to consider increasing the number of paid maternity leave in Malaysia from 60 to 90 days.

Well, technically I wrote my name and signed it :D

I truly support this campaign and pray that our dream to see a 90-day paid maternity leave materialises in the near future. Amin...

9 comments:

airin diana said...

amiiinn..I've already voted for that one! Hopefully, it'll be approved ;)

MOMMY NADIA said...

owh..I ketinggalan la..
nak vote jgak..where??
dear Irin or Airin..pls tell me!!

airin diana said...

La..mommy nadia ni mmg ketinggalan la. posted last month in my blog http://airinaiman.blogspot.com/2010/03/90-days-for-mums.html
Vote tau, nadia!

Thara said...

i signed this about a few weeks back as well! but if i can remember correctly, it has a dateline and i think its already closed for voting kan? but anyhow, here's to all mums, here's to "90 Hari Untuk Ibu"!

dbalkis said...

harap2 PM setuju la ye...moga2 bos2 semua pun pahamla. If u tak mau, and u tak kesah, ramai mommies yang kesah esp those yang bf anak :-)

lily lotus said...

yer! i pun dah...harap2 termakbul

IRIN PUTRI said...

Yay girls! Let's pray for it :)

thara: I was just given the thing yesterday. Hopefully they still accept my vote!

natira said...

hopefully jadi lah.. mmg 60days tk cukup..! next yr we all ingt nk balik for good.. btw, im now on my maternity leave.. Dublin bagi 6 months paid and additional 3 months (if you want) unpaid.. ;)

IRIN PUTRI said...

Hey natira...congrats on your newborn! You're here now?

Half a year paid leave?? 3x from what we get! So luckylah you..And lucky baby too!