Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Island Girl

We switched boats after the engine breakdown and reached Pulau Matanani, Sabah at night time. Did I mention how mesmerized I was when I first reached the island? The sky was just filled with stars!

As some of you may have guessed, I was a little bit teared up thinking about Raees. It was the first time I slept without him. Thought I could sleep soundly, but to no avail. I think I woke up as often as I did when I'm at home feeding Raees in the middle of the night.

The next morning I saw just how beautiful the island really is.






Honestly, this is the first time I really felt living the kampung life.



Our host, Pak Enggu, has 9 kids! Imagine that. Only 3 of them live at home - all of whom are girls.






The house is very simple yet cosy. Not much cockroach problem. Only 1 or 2 occasionally appear but I could still tolerate it. Plus, they don't fly. Phew!

I stayed in a room together with his 19-year-old daughter, Fazillah.



The room can fit a queen size bed just nicely. Only one dim light to keep the room lighted at night. Minimal, but cosy.

Anyways, I'm very particular about toilets and thankfully, although there's only one bathroom in the house, it was very well maintained and clean.

Get this - electricity is switched off at 6am til 6 pm everyday in the village. If I knew this I would've blowdried my hair earlier :D

Because they don't have electricity in the day, the villagers spend a lot of time outdoors.






The young guys would bring along battery operated minihifi and blast some jiwang songs.



We took a break during the shoot and the girls decided to bring me to a nearby resort. Nearby for them is half an hour walk away.



But I enjoyed our little trip. The view was amazing along the way. The place we ended up at is called Dugong Beach and it's simply beautiful!








I also made the effort to pump milk (and throw). Today I managed to do it 4 times. I know it's not the ideal number of pumps, but the situation doesn't allow me to do it more often. I was out shooting at a fishermen island the whole day, you know.



It's my last night here and I kept playing Raees' videos over and over. Can't wait to see him :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

mohamad 'may' yawmon said...

my god! cantik tol wane air laut dia. pearl tu. boleh mandi tak? =)

IRIN PUTRI said...

Boleh! Tapi tak sempat. Celup2 kaki je.

SK said...

Irin, where is the island?

IRIN PUTRI said...

It's in Sabah.

faradzillah said...

pump and dump.