Sunday, February 14, 2010

World Map Gone Wrong?

Guess what this is?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(figured it out yet?)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(the answer may shock you)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(here goes...)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It's my thigh!!

No, I wasn't scalded with boiling water nor did I get stung by a swarm of bees.

It's an allergy - one of the worse I've had so far. My whole leg was affected - from my thighs to ankles.

You see, I was on assignment ala crocodile hunter. I spent the whole day shooting under Malaysia's very "cold" sunny weather that left me sweating like...erm...a pig?

Since the day before the assignment, I have had allergy that left me scratching, although it wasn't so bad. However on the day of the shoot, I noticed the red spots on my arms got bigger as the day progressed. Soon, 2 spots became 1 big one...3 spots ganged up and became a long red swelling spot. I was told it would get worse with sweat but I didn't think it would be this bad!

As far as I can remember, I first had this problem when I was about 8 years old. It lasted for about a month and didn't come back....until I had food poisoning during pregnancy.

It happened again after Raees arrived and this time was really bad as it attacked my face, neck, body...you name it.

Turns out I was allergic to the antibiotic. So the doctor prescribed a different kind of antibiotic, gave me allergy pills, 2 freakin' injections which I hated so much coz it hurt like crazy - and I was OK.

But I wasn't 100% cured though. The allergy still comes and goes as I'm still allergic to something but I don't know what! How frustrating is that? I went to a couple of clinics and all the doctors gave me were allergy medication and cream coz they couldn't figure out what I'm allergic to either. Urgh!

One of the culprit is prawn - so I've stayed away from that for many months already. But I still get the occasional red spots. I've ruled out other seafood and cats - what next?

10 comments:

Ummi to NAJLA and EMRAN said...

salam Irin,

pity you..i guess you have to go for full "allergic blood test" to know you are allergic to what..then it can become clearer..hiw they do it is they will take your blood sample and test to all sorts of thing to know you are allergic to what

depend on cream and allergic medication ( antihistamine) not really that good..it just helps to reduce it for a while..for sure dia datang balik further more the creams that usually we have are all steroid cream

perhaps the best one is to ensure your skin are always lembap by using aquoes cream.. and also to use "soap free" medication during bath time which are available in the pharmacy such as Eubos/ Cetaphil/Sebamed..

moga cepat sembuh ya...take care!

noor said...

yes true! you definitely should go for allergic test! there are homeopaths medic without side effect as alternative!
get well soon!

m0mmyofTRIPLETSplusONE said...

err, i do get that kind of "map" every now and then too..they call it gegata. i reckon mine is dustmite. i get it if kt tilam hostel or sofa yg dh lama tak duduk n such. go over clinic, get a jab at my buttock..within minutes everything cleared =)

rara said...

get well soon!

IRIN PUTRI said...

Ummi: When I had the allergy back when I was 8 years old, the doctor did a blood test and figured out I had way too much junk food (that time 7-11 baru bukak near my place in Penang...so joli sakan)

A day before my assignment, I requested from my panel clinic for a GL to get my allergy test at the hospital but she said tak payah (!#$%%#^$#!!).

I precisely remember what the doctor said,"blood test will only determine if you're allergic to something but it will not tell you what you're allergic to. You can do a skin allergy test. It will test for common allergies but it doesn't promise much result. Buang masa je."

So I said,"well, it's worth a try."

The doctor then replied,"nevermind. you try this."

So she gave me allergy pills (which didn't work!), Cetaphil cleansing gel and moisturizer.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

noor: I shall get my panel doctor to let me get tested at a hospital :)

mun: you sound so happy to get that jab. I hate it so much! I would rather scratch than get that needle on my behind. :P

rara: thanx dear!

noor said...

Irin, your panel doctor may correct about blood test but absolutely NOT "buang masa" regarding skin allergy test!as they will give a VERY promising result!(my own experience)
hope u r recovering soon! all the best and get the "test" ASAP :)

Thara said...

uish. ur allergy seems nasty!

anyways i agree! dont listen to that unbelievable doctor! honestly, some doctors are just.. grrrr. really, u should go and get the test! get well soon! :)

IRIN PUTRI said...

I shall get that allergy test done as soon as it reappears. As of now, I'm allergy-free :)

Anonymous said...

i've had that during my childhood and my atok said that is ' semombota'. Atok bought medic-green-cream from seisei shop called 'gambak' if am not mistaken and also burn small net and put on the 'ibu semombota'. Yess, u have to find out the ibu=the main source.And another tips=jgn terkena air which means u cannot take your bath until u are completely covered.

IRIN PUTRI said...

the ibu?? seriously i couldn't figure out which one is the mother of all semombota/gegata coz they were all sambung2 and equally huge.

jangan kena air? hehe..that's one petua i cannot follow. i was sweating like crazy that day. the first thing i did when i reached home was to mandi. only after that boleh pegang raees.

anyways, thanx for sharing the petua. kalau kena lagi next time ada options untuk handle allergy tu :)