Friday, September 22, 2006

My trip to Taiwan



My first ever assignment overseas!!

This time around our subject of interest is located in Hualien, a three-hour train ride from Taipei.


Mind the tired face, spent the whole day travelling and it wasn't over yet!

We (Gan the producer, Ali the cameraman and me the journalist) spent most of our time shooting in Tzu Chi Buddhist University. The university was kind enough to let us stay at their Guest House (a 4-room apartment and I got the whole place to myself..woohoo!).


Busy busy busy

When we mention Taiwan, the thing that comes to mind of Muslims is the difficulty in getting Halal food. But not for this assignment.

Because of its Buddhist element, the whole campus is meat-free. In other words, 100% vegetarian. So all the restaurants within the campus and the university's hospital are all completely vegetarian. That made things easier for the cameraman and me.


Yamcha!

We went all the way to Hualien, Taiwan to cover a story about their medical students and some dead people. Lemme unconfuse you..

As part of the medical course, students are required to learn the human body anatomy, obviously. To get a better feel and understanding about the subject, they need to learn using the real thing by cutting a REAL human body, known as cadavers.


Became a medical student for a day

That is a normal practice for medical students even over here. But the unique thing is, how they obtain the bodies. Normally universities use unclaimed bodies or even import them. But in Tzu Chi University, there are people who actually volunteer to become cadavers when they pass away.


My standupper in between the dead

I could explain even more but that would eliminate the element of suprise when you people watch the finished product on TV. Feedback from my big bosses were very very positive. They loved it and I hope the rest of the country will to :)


Interview with Taiwan TV news :D

Shopping you say? Well, Hualien has more interesting beautiful places to visit rather than shops. On our way back, as the train stopped at Taipei train station, we charged for the shops nearby. I got myself a Canon digital camera. The market price over here is RM1799 but I got it for RM1200+ after conversion. Woohoo!

My journey didn't end there. Upon reaching KLIA, I bought a ticket to Penang for the next day to meet my Mer. After 2 weeks of hard work and coming back to an empty room, didn't like it.


Dinner at Pastasia, Gurney Plaza

Had a nice dinner and the next day had lunch by the beach before we drove back home. Hehe..am I a hopeless romantic or what ? :P

1 comment:

weezerie said...

Hi

If u and your crew are coming over to tokyo, feel free to contact me....i can show you around.